Hosts & Guests
Liz Nelson – Licensed Counselor
Tom Nelson – Lead Senior Pastor
Paul Brandes – Host
Bill Gorman – Co-Host
In this episode, we explore the intersection of mental health and spiritual formation as followers of Jesus. Tom and Liz Nelson join us for this important conversation.
One in four of us will experience a mental health crisis in our lives. If we knew that one in four of our church family experienced this trauma, wouldn’t we want to know about it and have the church be a place that considers the unique needs of those dealing with these issues?
Even if you never personally experience a crisis, your mental health and emotions are a part of how God made you, and Jesus cares deeply about you as a whole person.
In this conversation, we talk about:
- how to “undo the aloneness” in our lives
- the coming together of theology and mental health
- the importance of not just knowing God but being known by God
- Some practical advice on what to look for in mental health professional
- Attachment theory
You’ll hear us use the language of “attachment” and “attachment theory” a number of times. If you want to learn more about attachment and how it affects your relationships with others and God, here are a few resources:
- Podcast: Attachment: What It Is and Why It Matters So Much – Adam Young
- Podcast: Our Attachment History & Relationship with God Curt Thompson
- Book: Why You Do the Things You Do: The Secret to Healthy Relationships – Tim Clinton and Gary Sibcy